Mangoola is committed to contributing to the environmental, social and economic development of both the local and broader communities by ensuring all stakeholders are factually informed of our activities and responsibly managing our environmental, social and economic impacts of our mining operations. This commitment is reflected in the Mangoola Sustainable Development Policy.
We have developed a comprehensive Social and Community Engagement Guideline to identify and understand stakeholder views and concerns. This strategy coordinates consultation with the local community, regulatory authorities, Non-Government Organisations (NGOs), the Aboriginal community and other interested parties as appropriate. The feedback obtained from the Stakeholder Engagement Strategy allows us to continually review and improve our engagement with stakeholders.
We are also actively involved in communicating our environmental and social performance internally to employees and contractors via verbal communication sessions, toolbox talks, notice boards, intranet and e-mail as appropriate. Inductions and regular training and awareness sessions of all employees (commensurate with the job description of each) include detailed environmental and community components.
We recognise our ongoing partnership with the community by implementing sponsorships, keeping the community informed of our activities, and being available and open to communications from within the community. Information about and application forms for our community sponsorships can be accessed via the Smarty Grants page. Sponsorships are available to community groups in line with relevant Glencore internal standards and policies.
Mangoola's community contributions include:
- Upper Hunter Food and Wine Affair
- Max Potential young person development
- Wybong Hall support
- Muswellbrook Chamber of Commerce and Industry Inc. Business Awards
- Upper Hunter Education Fund
- Home Reading Incentives for Saint Joseph's Primary School Denman
- Upper Hunter Show
- Muswellbrook Charity Rodeo and Camp Draft
- Westpac Black Coal Cup
- Denman Aged Care Art Prize
- Muswellbrook South Public School Fete
- St Helliers Heavy Horse Field Day
- Muswellbrook Red Door Community
- Aberdeen Men's Shed
- Employee support program (various projects)