Mangoola is committed to contributing to the environmental, social and economic development of both the local and broader communities by ensuring all stakeholders are factually informed of our activities and responsibly managing our environmental, social and economic impacts of our mining operations. This commitment is reflected in the Mangoola Sustainable Development Policy.
We have developed a comprehensive Social and Community Engagement Guideline to identify and understand stakeholder views and concerns. This strategy coordinates consultation with the local community, regulatory authorities, Non-Government Organisations (NGOs), the Aboriginal community and other interested parties as appropriate. The feedback obtained from the Stakeholder Engagement Strategy allows us to continually review and improve our engagement with stakeholders.
We are also actively involved in communicating our environmental and social performance internally to employees and contractors via verbal communication sessions, toolbox talks, notice boards, intranet and e-mail as appropriate. Inductions and regular training and awareness sessions of all employees (commensurate with the job description of each) include detailed environmental and community components.
We recognise our ongoing partnership with the community by implementing sponsorships, keeping the community informed of our activities, and being available and open to communications from within the community. Information about and application forms for our community sponsorships can be accessed via the Smarty Grants page. Sponsorships are available to community groups in line with relevant Glencore internal standards and policies.
Mangoola's community contributions include (but are not limited to):
- Upper Hunter Show
- Upper Hunter Education Fund
- Wybong Rural Fire Service
- Mangoola Rural Fire Service
- Wybong Hall support
- St Joseph's Primary School Denman - Cattle Team
- Muswellbrook Chamber of Commerce and Industry Inc. Business Awards
- Muswellbrook Charity Rodeo
- Hunter Life Education - Hunter Soap Box Derby
- Westpac Upper Hunter Golf Day
- National Tree Planting Day
- Muswellbrook South Public School Fete
- Muswellbrook High School Yr 7 Camp
- Wildlife Aid - School Education Program
- Annual School Award ceremonies (various local schools from Denman, Sandy Hollow and Muswellbrook areas)
- Employee support program (various projects)
- Annual Mangoola apprentice working bee